Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Oh snap

Sunday was an ordinary morning. Benson slept the night before in 2 hour intervals, and was up at 5:45am. I woke Ryan up at 7am for a reprieve and went back to bed. 2 hours later I got up and headed downstairs and allllmost made it down. The left foot stepped over the baby gate and so did the right foot, almost. My toes clipped the top and lost my balance and went down. I caught my forward fall (from a few stairs up) with my hands. Thank goodness there wasn't a baby in my hands, my gads could you imagine! Ryan thought for sure it was just a sprain, I knew it wasn't. My wrist was limp and ached so bad. I sent Ryan to CVS for a splint. I figured we could go to urgent care but we all know the drill. They'd wrap it and say see your family Dr and collect 100 buckaroos as we walk out the door. So I wasn't going to do that. Sunday night it was getting pretty ugly looking so I ran over to the Stuart's house to see Joe; who is an orthopedic physician, to get his opinion. He thought for sure it was broken and to see a Dr first thing Monday.

I called Monday AM and tried to convince the family practice nurse to save me a trip and $30 to just give me a referral to get an X-ray over the phone because I already knew it was broken. They denied my request and told me to come in. Uggg. Ryan already had inspections scheduled Monday morning so I loaded 3 kids in the car with one hand and went to the Dr. Waited 1.5 hours, and was told; 'you need an X-ray'. Duh, I know. X-ray was just next door at the hospital but because I had 3 kids with me I couldn't get it done (radiation and such). When Ryan was done he met me at the hospital, and took the kids. X-ray was done, and they gave me a disc of images and I headed straight over to the orthopedic's office. The nurse pulled the images up on the computer and left the room. While I waited for the Dr. I walked over to the computer and looked at the images and immediately could see the break. Bummer. The Dr arrived and immediately said, yep broken;  AND displaced (def: 'shift' or 'move'). Basically the top (head) of the radius (the bigger forearm bone on the right) had a fracture that split down and then broke off and shifted over. He said surgery to have 3 pins put in to anchor the bone back together. The Dr's schedule had him doing surgeries on Thursday (4 days away).

I wasn't nervous for the surgery. I had taken care of a 4 month old, a 19 month old and a 5 year old for 4 days with a broken arm and no pain killers (I was given a paper Monday that said cease all medicines immediately unless instructed otherwise). By Thursday I figured I had most likely endured the worst of it. To be a little honest; I kind of looked forward to going to the hospital, laying in bed, and going to sleep without any interruptions from a little kiddo. Is that bad?

Off to sleep :)

Surgery went fine (I think). I guess the Dr talked to me afterwards, I don't remember it. I was super sick for 48 hours after. That passed. My arm hurt sooooo bad for about 2.5 weeks, and couldn't even use my fingers. 4 weeks later they cut the cast off. They also got a pair of pliers and yanked the pins out of the bones in the Dr office, no numbing or anything, and splinted it for another week. I left it on a couple extra days, because it was still really sensitive and weak.

Cast #1. Connor signed it.

The pins. When they cut off cast #1 to my surprise there were only 2 pins. That is probably something the Dr mention after surgery, however, I don't remember.

Cutting off cast #2. I have a video of them yanking, and twisting and pulling the pins out, I will save you all and not post it :)

The splint has been off for 3 days. It hurts to move it, and I have no range of motion. It grinds and pops if it gets twisted or bumped. I don't know if that is normal. I am suppose to go to a physical therapist to have it stretched. I think my hand looks weird, and swollen still. Strange.

And that's the story of the day I joined the broken bone club.

4 comments:

idaho grandma said...

Glad you are slowly on the mend. Good thing you have Connor part of the time to be your helper. I am happy that you didn't put the pin removal video on the blog. One time seeing it wa enough for me!!! You were so brave!!! Sending love and good thoughts your way for a speedy mend. Love you guys.

Denisse said...

Oh man Steph you are such a trooper!!! You broke it pretty good it looks like! I'm sorry. Braden broke his arm last month and just got his cast off yesterday. His little arm looked so skinny compared to the other one. It was so weird...he was so concerned...it hurts to move it too...I hope your arm gets all better and you won't have any more pain!

Courtney said...

Oh no Steph, that is horrible. Hope it continues to heal correctly. I have yet to join the broken bone club, knock on wood.

Justin and Stacey said...

Ugh, that looks and sounds awful!! I hope the worst is behind you and you get back to normal soon!