On his first day he did great! We walked him to the door and he went right in. I, on the other hand had a really hard time. I worried about lunch and him being around peanuts and not being able to control his environment. It was a really difficult feeling. Mrs. Ballard said she'd walk Connor to the peanut free table. It killed me not having any updates throughout the day. I picked him up and he seemed in good spirits. I didn't get much info out of him. I unpacked his lunch box. And he hadn't eaten a single thing :(. He told me he hated lunch because he couldn't sit with his class, he couldn't see his class and didn't know where his class was. Connor tends to be a follower and is shy and timid. He sat with a few other kids from different grades and was scared to talk to them. He said he wasn't going back. It broke my heart.
The next day was the same. And on the 3rd day he told the lunch staff we wasn't going to sit at the peanut free table. There was a lot of tears, and a full lunch box at the end of the day again. We discussed sitting at the regular lunch table with the lunch lady and she was okay with it if we felt comfortable about it. Truly, I didn't feel comfortable about it. Everyday at 11:05am I get very anxious when lunch began, I kept my phone close to me always. To put my nerves at ease I felt we needed to re visit the allergist to find out whether his allergy has progressed and for some advise. The skin test showed a super hefty allergy to peanut butter. But a mild allergy to peanut oil. So he is more allergic to the peanut its self than the oil of a peanut. We also learned that he isn't allergic to any other nuts; we didn't know that. The allergist request blood work, that we've yet to do. I've got to work back up to that, since being stabbed in the back 15 times was pretty traumatic for him. Dr Katz said he felt comfortable saying Connor would be okay at the regular table. Just NO SHARING food. So I am okay with it too. The anxiety hasn't gone away, but I feel a little more at ease.





1 comment:
His poor little back!! So glad for the information that you found out. Maybe not quite as bad. At least he gets to sit with the other kids in his class!!
Post a Comment