Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nowhere Near Normal



I'm a gym rat, well, actually I used to be a gym rat. I haven't been to a gym since I was 4 months pregnant!!! I have made lots of pathetic attempts of working out at home; running around the neighborhood, parks, and what not. But when it all comes down to it, I just enjoy a gym the most. There is nothing more motivating (yet sometimes intimidating) than a fitness center where everyone is trying to achieve the same goal. And well lets face it, it's super fun to "people watch" at a gym! Over in the weights section there is always that one guy who thinks he's hot stuff with the tight tank top making all sorts of weird noises while lifting, then flexes and stares at his muscles in the mirror. There is the woman who you wonder if maybe she might be a man. There is always a few of the super fit, really pretty girls who want to make you throw up and never eat again. Always a handful of people who seem depressed because they run and run until they are blue in the face and never see results on the scale (but they may not understand all the cardiovascular benefits the are getting). My least favorite group; the group of girls who never really workout, they just trot on the treadmill and socialize (I socialized one time, I ended up falling off the treadmill because I wasn't paying attention...never again). Oh yeah, and we can't forget the nerdy man with short shorts on the excercise bike with a sweat band. And last but not least the creepy goober that seems to follow you and every time you turn around they are on a machine by you.

Why the title of the post? Well I am only a few pounds from what I was pre-pregnancy, yet my jeans say I am no where near normal! Very few of my pre-pregnancy jeans fit over my hips, and the zipper on the ones that do make a V-shape (meaning there will be no budging the zipper in the northern direction, I am not even going there with the button)... I know all you mothers know exactly what I am talking about. I carried Connor super duper low, so understandably my hip bones had to make room. Well, it's not only my hip bones causing the problem, it's my subcutaneous fat (the lovely marshmallow below the skin but above the muscle). So since there is no "hip-bone-reducing exercise" I feel I must go back to my roots (which I should have been doing all along but haven't)...the gym! I am now the newest member of 24-Hour Fitness; the goal... 5:30am work outs. We should all start a "biggest loser" competition! What do we have to "lose"? (yes, pun intended).

9 comments:

Ash & Tim said...

I have to question your gym -there are escalators leading to the gym. And better yet people are going to the gym and actually using the escalators aren't they going there to workout. That is hilarious! Loved reading the different stereotypes very true -I have to agree there is no hip reducing exercise but if you find one do share the secret. I am currently in the "biggest gainer" competition me and Andrew are seeing who can put on more weight. I don't believe that you need to lose anything either -you look great!

Greggory & Kate & Harley said...

congrats on making it back to the gym! even though from your pics i think you look fabulous....i just re-started going back to the gym too, especially considering my wedding is coming up in almost a year...good thing i have some time! :) yay gym rats!

Justin and Stacey said...

Your post made Justin and I laugh! The gym definitely is a great place to people watch. SO how is your 5:30am workouts coming? I really wish that I could be disciplined enough to get up and go to the gym before Justin leaves for school at 7:30. But I am so lazy in the morning!! Jack gets up between 7 & 8 and it takes all my energy to get up with him and feed him breakfast! What is your secret?? I am more of a morning person than I have EVER been, since Jack forces me up every morning, but I don't think I could get up extra early and workout. It would be so nice to get it over with before your day starts. I usually go at night, which isn't bad but I envy people who can get up early to go. Keep me posted and good luck!

Justin and Stacey said...

Did I forget to mention in that comment that I think you look GREAT?!?! I don't think you would win the biggest loser contest because I can't imagine that you have very much to lose!

Denisse said...

I definitely admire you Stephanie for working out at 5:30 in the morning!!!! I don't think I could ever do that! And I really laughed at your well written description of all the characters you see at the gym!!! And I'm with Stacey, I think you look great in all of your pictures that I've seen!!!!:)

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

I hear you, It is so hard to start back up for some reason and it is so unfair that you can weigh the same, even less sometimes and look so different? Good luck with the gym...even though you look fantastic...I totally get it.

Rachel said...

We had a Biggest Loser competition here on Post back at the beginning of the year. I was signed up for it and all excited and the day AFTER I turned in my physical/consent from my doctor, I found out I was pregnant with Sophie and couldn't participate! I was so angry.

Once I get cleared from the doctor to go back to exercise after my post-partum appointment, Andrew and I are gonna work out a work-out schedule since he has madatory PT in the morning with the Army. I think I'll end up the evening workout shift since I'm not gonna get up any earlier than 5am unless it's to feed Sophie!

What I wouldn't give to go back to the days of Miss Sak's aerobics class where it was every.single.day and part of our daily schedule.

Erica said...

I am with you as soon as I get this baby out! I know I will have a hard time very good about my weight/image too. I know it probably doesn't mean anything to you because you have to feel it yourself but you look great! I am planning on doing P90X with my husband so we both can get back into shape after the baby comes! But I do wish I could go to the gym!

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

5:30?!?! I am sawing logs at that time. It is still dark! Good for you Stephanie! I must say that you look amazing, I would never have guessed you need to lose anything!! But, it is good to be healthy for our families, right? Good for you! Stacey and I were thinking of starting a blog about healthy choices for kids and moms, what do you think?? Should be fun!