Tuesday, May 5, 2009

13.1 Miles and I Didn't Die.....




May 2nd was the Palos Verdes Marathon! My best friend Bekka and I successfully completed our very first half marathon. It was sooo, soooo much fun. I am definitely addicted now. For some reason I wasn't very nervous about the race at all during training. But the morning of the race when we arrived I started getting nervous because some people were taking this so serious, and I started to feel under prepared. There were people with sports drinks hooked to their belts, their legs and ankles weer taped, ponchos in case it rained, special sunglasses, clothes with special pockets for their goo, blocks, and power bars. I started to think, "oh my, what have I gotten myself into? I didn't carbo load the day before and didn't even eat breakfast before the race, I will probably die!!" I didn't even have goals set (because I didn't even know what to expect), I guess my goal was to just finish. I kind of figured I'd just go back and forth between walking and running. The race started and it was so much fun. Bekka and I jogged the entire 13.1 miles (with a small exception of one steep hill, everyone walked that, and even people with bikes got off and pushed them up the hill)!!! Around mile 7 was when I had to put my headphones on for some music to help me power through because I was getting tired. We did so much better than I was expecting. However, the last mile was a KILLER. We stepped up our pace for the last mile, and it was the longest mile of my life. My muscles were entirely fatigued and there was nothing left. But we survived.

We headed back to Las Vegas a few hour after the marathon. I am not sure sitting in the car for 3.5 hours after running 13 miles was a good idea. My knees were locking up so bad. When we got home every step I took my knees seemed to pop out of place. I thought for sure I ruined my knees because of the lack of training. I iced them and went to bed. Sunday morning I was terrified to try and get out of bed because I was afraid I would be in so much pain and be sore. To my surprise I felt so great. My knees didn't hurt and I was just a little sore!
I can't wait to run more marathons, it was so fun, and entirely rewarding. We completed our race in 2:45:31 with a pace of 12.39/mile. Next time I want to run it in under 2 hours and 30 mins. Come join me...Disneyland Marathon in September, Valley of Fire Marathon in November.


Let the race begin!!!


The action shot...

Feet away from the finish line.

Yahoo, we did it, and we got metals for it!




Nic and Bekka


Relaxing! Thanks for letting me run with you Bekka!

14 comments:

Neal said...

Way to go Steph!!! Wow...I couldn't pull that one off. Shoot!...I'd have an asthma attack after the first mile. Lol:)
Congratulations and good luck with the future marathons!

Marc and Stacy said...

GREAT JOB!! So fun that we were kind of running together! :) haha...actually Marc and I were thinking of coming down for the Disney Half Marathon-that would be so fun to run it all together! :) Congratulations! Such an accomplishment!

Courtney said...

Way to go Steph! That is awesome! You look great in the pictures! I haven't seen Bekka in forever, glad you were able to get together for this, very neat!

John and Ashley Sellers said...

Congrats that is such an accomplishment. I bet it felt good!!

Al and Ash said...

Woot! Go bekka and Steph! You are inspiring me to get my butt in gear and see what I could do, but I don't know. The valley of fire would be way fun, but I bet really dusty. Anyways, We'll see about disneyland...that could be a blast! love ya, and congrats!

Erica said...

That is awesome! That is a really good time! Especially for not trying that hard! I swear everyone is doing 1/2 marathons right now. I wish I could get on the band wagon but I have no desire whatsoever so I applaud your desire and now your addiction.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Stephanie. As I was reading your blog, I was blinking really fast, so not to mess up my eye make-up. But I just want you to know how proud I am of you!!! What an awesome accomplishment and so neat to be able to do it with your friend. I could never do that, and you know I tried running, but starting at 52 is not a good idea. Just ask my knee and hip. I was really thinking I could start to run, but was sadly mistaken. Congratulations to both of you and you did the Heaton name proud. I just can't believe how fast you ran it too. Great photos, Ryan. WAY TO GO!!!!! Love you....MOM H.

britt said...

ok, this post alone made me tired. That is so awesome, it takes alot of work! good job!

Justin and Stacey said...

Okay, I am super impressed!! Justin is doing one in August and I hope he does as well as you guys! Way to go!!! If I wasn't pregnant, i would be tempted to join you at Disneyland!! How exciting...keep up the good work!

PS. Ryan, thanks for the nice comment on our blog. We love you too...

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

Way to go Stephanie!! That is quite an accomplishment. Keep up the good work!!

www.stagedelements. blogspot.com said...

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs! I am so proud of you girls!

Ash & Tim said...

Wow -impressive is right. I am pretty sure I would be dead on the side. Actually I know I would be dead on the side. Way to GO!!!

Katy said...

Way to go Stephanie. You are amazing! Now hopefully Russ won't die when he runs his! ;)

- said...

How awesome- I want to do one but Im too scared to commit. I have a hard enough time running 30 minutes a day. Way to go! you'll have to post how you trained- how long you ran each day