Friday, July 29, 2011

Swimming Lessons




Connor started swimming lessons :). How did it go? Well....hhhmmm. Remember a few weeks ago I posted about him stepping off the pool stair and sinking down in the water? I think that incident has caused him to question his confidence. He still likes the water, but he doesn't want to jump in like he used to (we are going to try to not let him use a floaty anymore, because those gave him a false sense of security...he has to learn to swim). Connor's swim teacher was so great, and worked really hard with him and was so sweet and patient. Good thing I am not a swim teacher, I would have thrown him in Day 2 and said, sink or swim (tough love :). We did 5 striaght days so that what he learned was reinforced daily. Also, we opted for the private lessons because we thought that might be best for how timid Connor is. Day 1 went really well. Day 2,3,4 he cried quite a bit. Day 5 was pretty good, only a few tears in the beginning. When Amber would ask him to do some thing he'd say "um, no thank you." He is such a goofball. Eventually he'd do it. The thing he just couldn't get himself to do was put his head down with his eyes in the water, not even with goggles :(. But now he knows all the basics, I just need to work with him and build his confidence up and hopefully he will be swimming!












This is what Sadie thought of the lessons :). She must have liked being out in the sun, because when we'd get home she'd take the best naps!









1 comment:

idaho grandma said...

the video came up!!!! that is the funniest thing I have seen forever!!!! he is a little stressed. he will get his confidence soon. hopefully he will get to be in a pool again really soon so he won't be frightened. he is doing awesome though and we are so proud of him.