Okay, so I try to be a well informed mom (well actually my sister tells me about something then I consider myself informed). But there is one topic that I can't seem to find a straight answer on despite my research efforts. I am sure we have all heard the concern that maybe the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccination has a possible link to autism. I researched one afternoon and here are a few points about autism:
*The rate of autism is 1 in every 150 children born in the United States during the 1990's. Most of the children inflicted are boys.
*What causes autism? Autism is a disorder of the brain, thought to be the result of disruption of its cells during fetal development and through early stages of life. It is thought to result from a combination of genetic, neurological, metabolic, environmental, and infectious factors. A number of other possible causes have been suspected, but not proven. They involve digestive tract changes, diet, mercury poisoning, vaccine sensitivity, and the body's inefficient use of vitamins and minerals.
*Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research has shown that mercury, even in small amounts, is more toxic than lead, cadmium and even arsenic. Some of the most common signs and symptoms of mercury exposure include irritability, fits of anger, lack of energy, fatigue, low self-esteem, drowsiness, decline of intellect, low self-control, nervousness, memory loss, depression, anxiety, shyness/timidity and insomnia.
*Mercury and Vaccines: (Thimerosal)Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in vaccines and other products since the 1930s.
However:
*Suspicions fell most heavily on the mercury-containing preservative thimerasol and on the Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) triple-jab. Medical science, in return, suggested that the onset of autistic symptoms at the age of 18 to 30 months, shortly after MMR vaccines are given, is just a developmental coincidence, not a causal connection
*The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention report that there is no proven link between autism and the MMR vaccine
I am just not convinced that there is not a connection. The CDC said there hasn't been a "proven" link, but maybe they just haven't been able to find it yet. I really don't know what my opinion of this situation is. I asked Connor's Pediatrician and she told me I would be "wrong for waiting to do the MMR vaccination, there is no link to autism." Meanwhile, more and more children are diagnosed with autism.
I was wondering what you girl's opinions are. Since boys are most likely to be inflicted and many of you have boys; what is your plan with the MMR vaccination? Have you heard similar information about the concerns of autism? I am leaning a little more on the side of waiting as a precaution to do the vaccinations but I am not totally sure yet. Any opinions and/or information you guys can share would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Oh and just to give an example on how out of control autism is getting...we have 10 boys in our ward alone with autism!!! This is an epidemic.
Also, I really liked this website. It seemed very helpful and objective.
http://www.autismfacts.com/index.php
8 comments:
hi stephanie. i've actually been peeking at your blog for a while now- i had a class with you at ricks forever ago and found your blog through someone else's. i do have a serious opinion on this matter, so i thought i'd share really quick. i have two sons... my first has been fully vaccinated and the second has had none. i actually have about 6 kids in my ward that have autism. every single one of the parents says it's after that vaccination that they start noticing a difference. i don't trust doctors or anyone in the government really. you look at how many drugs the fda says are safe and years later, they take them off the market because they've killed too many people. vaccines have a lot of harmful things in them... and i think doctors are foolish to not be open to the possibility of a link... it comes from somewhere! they start out normal and then they change- something is wrong somewhere along the line. i'm not sure if it's vaccinations or foods we eat or what, but it's in something.... you can't be too careful. i'm planning to vaccinate my second son (now one year old and has been way healthier than my first who is 3 1/2 almost)... i'm just waiting until he gets a little bit older so his immune system can handle the viruses they inject into him. anyway. that's my opinion- but you'll hear lots of people who think it's ridiculous not to immunize. my pediatrician was actually fine with my decision. good luck!
Steph, I have no idea what I plan on doing. I have heard so much about this. No one in our ward has autism which is pretty good for how many little kids we have. There are a lot of doctors in our ward and I am curious what their opinion is. I know that Jenny McCarthy has a book out about her son and their struggle with autism that I have been wanting to read.I don't remember what it's called but it looked really good. Anyways, I will be curious as to what you find out. If I hear anything else I will let you know!
So Steph, being around medical students all the time, they would tell you that the benefits outway the risks. That if you do not get the MMR vaccine that that could have detrimental affects, and the rate of autism is low enough that there is no causal info or correlation. The MMR vaccine has been around for ages in fact all of us have all had it. I know the rate of autism has gone up in the recent years so I have a hard time linking it to the MMR vaccine now since we all have been given it in the past. Hope that helps :)
Steph I talked to Mitch about this and he said they had a huge discussion on this topic in class before Christmas and there is 100% no link or research done between the correlation of the MMR vaccine and autism. Mitch said that his teacher gets sick of the articles on the internet about this because they "misinform" and "worry" people.
This is interesting, I've been doing research on this for a couple of months now, and have found a Lot of interesting things, and have quite a few friends that don't vaccinate their kids. There is too much information on everything i've found, but I would be so happy to get together with you and give you what I have. I've collected material, stats, and studies from both sides, anti vaccine and pro vaccine. Autism isn't the only thing that scares me. (which I have found studies that have correlated mmr and other vaccines with autism and other neurological and etc diseases) And there are so many other toxins and preservatives in vaccines. And more recently a lot of the newer vaccines are genetically engineered. I am not anti vaccine, but through my research I've become leary of giving them to my infant. Anyway, I could go on and on about this because I'm in the same boat, but have just been really wanting to find answers on both side and have been for a while now. my email is mikeandbritt@gmail.com, if you want to get together or have me email you some info and some good books to read, let me know, I can also tell you the process I went, and am going through to empower myself with knowlege about these things! It's a interesting topic, and a decision you don't make lightly, you have to do your homework!
Hello my dear! Yes I did get your post! I think Conner would love the Bumbo. I think Kylar really likes it b/c he feels like a big boy! ;)
OH I did want to leave a comment on those vaccinations I have heard that it can cause autism. If fact 5 of my family memebers choose not to do those vaccinations for there children. But all in all it's on our opinion and how you feel about it. I know I want be taking Kylar to get that done anytime soon!
Stephanie,
This is definitely a serious topic. I have given Alexa all of her vaccinations. I believe that there MIGHT be a connection, but I also believe that if your child is meant to be autistic he/she will be regardless. MMR vaccination is meant to protect your child from harmful diseases. It is so hard to say, but I really believe that God has a plan for each child and that plan will be carried out regardless. (I am really not the preachy type.) My friend's 10 month old little boy died last year of a sudden stroke. I was there and it changed and stengthened my testimony. It was the most spiritual yet heart renching experience I will probably ever witness. We both talked about this MMR issue and we came to the same agreement as I mentioned before.
Steph, I have to say that I agree with the prior comment. I also believe that it seems to me that either way we are taking a risk. Although there is no "proven" connection betweeb autism and this MMR vaccination (from what I just read from your post it seems that it could be a possibility), just not scientifically proven, I still believe you take a risk by not vaccinating your child from another disease. In a way we can say that it is a double edged sword. However, my "mom instict" right now tells me that for my children, (specifically) vaccination is the way to go. Another thought is that if there is a connection with autism and the MMR how do you explain years and years of giving this vaccination and low levels of autism, we all have gotten this shot, but then again there might be a connection...lastly, I was talking to Scott about this and he gave me the example of a cold, for years people have associated cold weather with getting a cold, but you don't really get a cold because you were exposed to cold weather, however, since they happened one after the other we connect the two together, the same thing might be with this vaccine. This is an extremely interesting topic, thanks for making us think!:)
Post a Comment