Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day = a lot of labor mixed with some fun.

Since we have moved into our house, our HOA has sent us several letters about getting our backyard in. My parents have the best green thumbs ever, so we figured since they were coming to visit we'd have them help us out. My parents live in California, and since everything grows there (another reason why CA is the best), we had to do some research on desert plants, trees, and flowers and what will survive the heat. We think we have come up with a few goods picks. I guess time will tell.

Digging the holes, was A LOT of WORK (or so I hear, I didn't actually try it myself.) My dad and Ryan would pick at it, then shovel, soak the dirt, pick at it, then shovel, soak again etc. My dad also taught Ryan how to put an irrigation system in. It was a lot quicker, and easier than I thought it would be. The backyard has now become our new baby. I love it! It's not anywhere near done, but it's so fun to finally have made some progress.


_________________________________________________________________

On Saturday night Ryan and I took a little break to see Ryan's cousin Julianne Hough's concert at the Mandalay Bay Hotel. My parents were so nice to watch Connor and let us take off last minute. It was such a fun concert. It was on the beach, and her stage was out in the water. It was fun to stand in the water, dance and watch the show.


Ryan, Sharee (Ry's Cousin, aka Julianne's sister), Mariann (Ry's aunt, aka Julianne's mom), Ryan's Grandma.

Ryan's cousin Sharee and her husband came to town to see the show. It was fun to see them since we hadn't seen them since last summer.

Afterwards we went back to Julianne's bus to talk for a bit. Cody Linley, Julianne's old dance partner from Dancing With the Stars popped in to surprise her. He was in town and had heard she had a concert in Las Vegas.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so jealous! I love Julianne (DWTS fan) and I watch Hannah Montana (with Audrey :-) ) and Cody is sometimes on the show. It looks like you had a great time!!

Katy said...

Oh the joys of home ownership...the yard is looking good though.

Deb said...

Steph, The yard is looking great. What fun you will have back there!
I had no idea Ryan was Julieanne's cousin..she is so adorable, Uncle Rick & I are huge fans of her and her brother.

Cassie said...

That looked like so much fun! We tried to go see Julianne's concert here in Des Moines last month at the fair, but her concert was on Sunday. Mitch and I were so bummed!!! Maybe we will get to see her in concert another time! You look so cute in the pic with her!

Justin and Stacey said...

How fun to be starting on your yard! Can't wait to see the finished product. The concert looks like a blast! It's so fun to be able to see her doing so well.