Wednesday, October 21, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine...

Are you going to do the H1N1 vaccination? I don't know what to do, let me know......

13 comments:

Daija said...

Bridger got it last week. Jonathan and I will be getting it. I was hesitant thinking that it was just too new. My doctor said that if there had been enough time, the H1N1 vaccine would have been included in the seasonal flu vaccine...same vaccine, just a different strain (sp?) of virus.

Nat Heaton said...

Kind of scary debate huh. Jared feels very strongly against this vaccination after discussions with some of the docs he has rotated with.

On the other side of things, I have H1N1 right now-it horrible and in no way your typical flu! Knowing what I know now, had I had a chance to prevent this, (since the vaccination is not available to me yet) I would vaccinate (maybe without telling Jared :)!

Let us know what you decide. We really have debated this very thing all month.

Rachel said...

We were told (thank you, Army, for dictating our lives!) that having the regular flu shot is a great preventative and should you come across the H1N1 virus, the regular flu shot will help minimize the effects. Active Duty soldiers are required to have it here at Fort Huachuca because we're about 15 miles from the border and we get a lot of illegal immigrants hiding in our neighborhoods.

Sophie and I have both had the regular flu shot and Andrew and I agreed that it is enough for us to just have that since there are no studies showing what potential side effects and things there are.

It's a hard thing to decide.

Jeri Call said...

I got Hannah the H1N1 mist(because she is over 2)and the seasonal flu shot. We were just at the doctors the other day just her and I) But you can not get the H1N1 shot and the seasonal flu shot at the same time. They have to be 30 days apart from each other. (you can get the seasonal flu shot and the mist at the same time, but you ave to be over 2 for the mist).

So if I were you I would start with the seasonal flu shot. and wait 30 days and see if any other stories have come out about side effects from the H1N1. and then decided then.

Adrienne & Scott said...

The H1N1 is definitely going around. We have a bunch of cases of it in our ward. Yuck! Are you worried about it being safe or are you just worried about it being worth it? It's definitely safe! They require us pregnant ladies to get it. I agree though with the other comments above. If you're not pregnant, then start with just the regular flu shot. If you do have flu symptoms make sure to go to the ER or your doctor asap to stop it in its tracks! Good luck however finding the regular flu shot or swine flu shot. The whole country is having shortages. Yikes!!

Cassie said...

I got the h1n1 flu shot and Mitch is going to get it next week. We are not sure on Hallie though. Maybe if it becomes available when there is still a problem it seems like all the peds offices around here haven't gotten any in yet. It is just as safe as the seasonal flu shot. We all 3 got that one already! Why risk getting it when you don't have to?!

Kelly Munns said...

i guess i just don't know much about it. i'm reluctant to get either...and i'm pregnant. i just don't believe that putting the killed virus inside my body will repel the live virus if i do come across it. i just feel like your body won't NECESSARILY fight off the virus...it's just a better chance that it will recognize it and kill it. i don't know...someone's really going to have to twist my arm to make me do it. plus, i heard pregnant people need to have one flu shot and two h1n1 shots. and the kids (like connor and isaac) need to have TWO flu and TWO h1n1. that's a little much if you ask me...

Katy said...

We are getting both shots! With the problems I have had this pregnancy, I am not taking any chances.

Katy said...

Also, I only had to get one dose of each shot. Only kids under 9 years of age have to get double doses of the seasonal flu shot.

Kelly Munns said...

my obgyn said one of flu, two of h1n1. maybe they're just milkin it...

idaho grandma said...

We've never had the flu shot, so I am definately not having one this year as well as the H1N1!!!! We've done tons of research and will not have it. Not tested enough yet on side effects...I think everyone is on the bandwagon using scare tactics. Hopefully I won't have to eat my words and end up getting it!!! :)

Deb said...

Since I'm watching Melanie, the pediatrician said Rick & I both need to get it...anything for my Mel-Bel!

Ash & Tim said...

Alright I heard about all these comments and decided I better leave my two cents. Tim has already got the H1N1 vaccine -he is required to in order to work in the hospital. I myself will also be getting it -we have had tons of kids out of school for weeks already with it and I want to avoid bringing it home to Ian at all costs. As for Ian -he has received his flu shots this year. He has always been very healthy and only had one small cold over a year ago. I am still undecided on the H1N1 for him where he is so little. I feel that it is safe but we really do not know all of the side effects. While it is very similar to the influenza it is still somewhat different. Who knows I guess we'll see when the time comes and the vaccine is here. Good luck!