Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easter

I have decided that holidays need to be simplified. I like simplicity, and at this time in our crazy busy life it's the only way we will survive. I read a blog post on 'rage against the mini van' about bringing the holidays down a notch. Christmas and Easter are legit holidays, everything else is a phone-it-in holiday (whatever that means). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE holidays. They are some of my fondest memories growing up. I can still remember wearing red & pink (in fact I can remember some of the outfits) taking my shoe box wrapped in construction paper covered with stickers with a slit cut in the top to school and delivering my valentines card with a sucker taped to it. I remember being mildly embarrassed to give the cute boys in the class valentines and hoping I got one from them ;). I remember wearing green on St. Patrick's Day, and going to the library for story time and the librarian reading a leprechaun book to us, and eating cupcakes with green frosting. They were simple holidays, and I loved them, I knew no different. But lately I have found myself frivolously spending money making these minor fun little holidays something major. I don't blame Pinterest or Target for making or teaching us to make such cute things. I love that cute crafts have become so accessible and affordable!!! I blame myself for getting caught up in the craze. I just need to choose more wisely how high I set the bar now, because in 10 years I don't want to be killing myself trying to maintain crazy holiday traditions. I don't want the last little child to feel like they are getting the shaft because mom got lazy and tired over the years ;).

I just realized I wrote an entire paragraph that really had nothing to do with Easter, other than the word 'simplify'. Easter was simple and perfect. On Saturday we went to our neighborhood Easter egg hunt. The kids had a great time. This year Sadie caught on to the pick up your egg and put it in your basket concept. It was sooo cute. She'd spot an egg across the grass and run to it passing a dozen other eggs on her way. Connor was frantically grabbing eggs and tossing them in him basket not noticing that they weren't even landing in his basket. He probably did it with a half a dozen eggs. He is so silly. The eggs were empty and they traded them in for a little treat bag.

Sunday morning the kids found their baskets in the house. Connor's bike broke a few weeks ago. So the Easter bunny brought him a little scooter, and Sadie got a $5 Barbie. The bunny hid the eggs in the backyard. Sadie quickly realized on the 1st egg that there was candy in it. So she picked up the egg and shoved the candy in her mouth before going to the next egg and shove that candy in her mouth. By the time she had 3 eggs worth if candy in her mouth Connor had gathered the other 30 eggs.

My mom bought Benson the cutest little Easter overalls and Sadie the prettiest little pink polka dot dress. I got Connor a little Easter vest. They looked soooo cute on Sunday! I love their little faces. Holidays are more and more fun the older they get.



















2 comments:

Denisse said...

I agree completely with what you're saying about holidays that are blown out of proportion. Everything is so commercialized! Simple is good! At the end of the day it is the time that we get to spend together during these holidays that matters most. It is good for kids to know that we don't have to spend money to make special memories.

That picture of your 3 kiddos sitting on the bench is adorable! They are beautiful! Blessings from heaven!:)

Rachel said...

I love that Connor is wearing Christmas pajamas!