We had a pet for about a week, Connor named him Rusty. For the first couple mornings Connor would wake up and ask to check on Rusty, he'd then proceed to wave and say "Good morning little fella!" Rusty's bowl become cloudier and stinkier by the day (Connor agreed on the stinky part too, if he got too close he'd gag), and well quite frankly it kind of grossed me out. I for sure was not going to be the one to fish out the fish and clean his stinky bowl. So one day while watching Mickey Mouse with Connor...the one where "Mickey Goes Fishin'"... I got a novel idea. I convinced Connor that Rusty was starting to get sad and missed his friends and family and that he wanted to live in a big lake like the one on Mickey Mouse. He thought that was great idea, and kept saying, "it'll be fun!" (okay, maybe he had a little coaching).
So off Rusty went into the lake. I thought for sure Connor would forget about it, but every time we drive past the park he says, "let's stop to see Rusty!", and it's been close to a month!
Whatever, don't think I am a bad mom, Rusty was going to die in his little bowl anyways! I didn't want to be the one to have to tell Connor, "I don't know what happened to your little fish sweetie, maybe he jumped out of his bowl last night," when Rusty died. The pond was a much easier way of solving a potential problem. AND who knows, maybe Rusty will live a long and happy life in the pond!
While we were there these cute little guys were out sun-bathing! There were lots of them, everywhere we turned. Hhmm, I wonder if turtles make good pets, or if they are stinky too?

5 comments:
stephanie this is such a cute and sweet little story. i love it!
You should have had him watch Finding Nemo and hear the part where Gill says that all drains lead to the ocean. Then you could have flushed Rusty and not had to worry =)
I actually remember my mom using the death of our goldfish, George, as our first lesson in death. I was about 3.
And I wouldn't be wondering about whether or not the turtles make good pets ... but wondering which one of those happy sun-bathing turtles ate your son's fish!
That wouldn't be the little fishy he got from Holly and I's wedding would it?:) If so, I will be sorely sad:( (just kidding:) Too bad you couldn't get Ryan to clean the bowl for ya?:) Oh well...Rusty will be missed:)
that is the cutest idea I have ever heard. I could just hear you telling Connor that Rusty misses his friends. We were both laughing so hard. Loved it!!!!! I am sure turtles would be smellier than the fish. It surprises me that Ryan wouldn't clean the bowl. He has done that before. Just glad you didn't have to tell a story when you flushed him. Hopefully he will have a long and happy life in the pond with his "friends and family". I can't believe he still remembers. Your new tree is beautiful. I love it. The rose bush looks so cute too. Hopefully you will get your Mother's Day present. It is so nice to have a great nursery close by that you love and trust. Keep up the good work on the yard. Love you guys.....mom
Poor Rusty. :) Hopefully he will find some friends in the pond :) Connor was so cute in the video. We can't WAIT for you guys to come out here!! We are counting down the time
Post a Comment