Thursday, August 30, 2012

12 Weeks (almost)

Oh Benson, Benny whenny boo boo. You started to come around, finally. It took you long enough! It's been a long road for this poor little guy. The GI switched his formula a million times, tried different reflux meds, and I've come to a conclusion...the Dr doesn't know what he's doing. We did get him to order a swallow study for Benson, it confirmed what we already knew; he has reflux. But, in addition and moreover, he takes in LARGE amounts of air. Ry and I have been trying to tell everyone that his tummy is full of air and has so much gas. I feel like he has something wrong with his epiglottis, larynx, or trachea. When he drinks he gulps and struggles to get in enough air. He tries to clear his throat while he eats to breath. So, we were referred to a feeding specialist. She wanted to repeat, the sallow study with a feeding team present in addition to the radiologist. I guess the feeding team knows more about the mouth and the throat and the radiologist knows more about the stomach and the upper GI. But, the GI specialist hasn't signed off on it. He's in no hurray apparently. Benson has kind just learned to deal with his feeding problems while he eats in the meanwhile.

Some of Benson's milestones at 12 weeks are:
-He smiles (at 6 weeks).
-He laughed at 9 weeks.
-He goes to bed at 9:30pm and sleeps usually 4 maybe 5 hours, then in only 2 hour increment after that. At about 5am he gets really uncomfortable with gas, I bring him downstairs and he sleeps until about 8am in his swing.
-He is pretty easy to get to sleep if you have a bottle.
-He has to be swaddled.
-Will not take a binkie
-He is got a little flat spot on the side of his head, which is ironic because I hold him all day long. But he does like to favor one side and always turns his head that one way when he sleeps despite our efforts to control it.
-He doesn't really like his carseat, but will go to sleep pretty quickly if we prop a bottle in his mouth. He likes his car seat if he is asleep.

Weight: 12lb 3oz
Height: 23 inches
Head: 39cm

5 comments:

idaho grandma said...

He is sooooo cute!!! So glad he is getting a little better. I know you have had a rough time the past few months.....but know we love you and are so proud of the wonderful mommy you are!!! You have really been throught it and we think you have done it with FLYING COLORS!!!! Hang in there and know you and your family are always in our prayers. We love you all so much.

Jen said...

I think you are an amazing mom, Steph. I hope that you can get things figured out so that he can be more comfortable & you can get a break! He is such a cute little guy. -Jen J

Courtney said...

Oh, that is so difficult. Landon has reflux and also went thru many different formulas and medicines. He has finally outgrown it now that he is 9 months old and doesn't need any medicine anymore!! I cried a lot when his reflux wasn't under control, it hurts to seem our children hurt. Hopefully they can give him relief soon, poor baby and poor mama.

Spencer & Nikki said...

Man that is so hard. Good thing he is so cute and makes it worth all the frustration. You have such a cute family. Looks like you guys are doing well.

Denisse said...

Your little Benny is adorable! He is a little trooper and you are too. I hope that whole team of docs can figure out what's wrong...in the meantime, his little smile, I'm sure melts your heart.