Wednesday, April 23, 2008

6 month reflection. warning....labor story...

I started this post before i left for california last week and never got to finish it before i left...

connor is six months today and i can't hardly believe it! time has just flown by. the last 3 1/2 months have been the most fun! just when we think it can't get any better....it does!!!!

i was sitting here trying to think back to all the details leading up to connor's arrival and i was sad to realize i am forgetting so much so quickly. since we have been using our blog as a journal of the events and milestones of our lives, i thought i would document the story. it's mostly for us and you will probably be bored with the details, but it's something i don't want to forget.

early tuesday morning i woke up around 4:15am with really weak contractions. they were every 15 mins and were hardly painful. the contractions never got more intense or closer, so i just stayed in bed and tried to sleep through most of them. finally around 7:30am i decided to get up and take a shower, then they completely stopped. we both stayed home from work because we weren't sure if they would start back up. we just hung out most of the day at home with the exception of running to the store to finish off the last of the baby shopping. 5pm came and no more contractions and we thought, man we should have just gone to work. at about 7pm those friendly little contractions came back. well within 45 minutes they intensified so very quick that i called the hospital at 7:45pm to find out when they want us to come in. at that point they were about 10 mins apart, extremely painful and lasting about 20 seconds. the hospital called dr swainston and he said to wait until they are 5 mins apart.

we put everything in the car, and went inside to wait. ryan said oh, don't let me forget to take the trash out, i mentioned maybe taking it out right then so we dont have to bother with it when we were trying to run out the door. i called my mom to give the update and she said to just leave for the hospital and hang out in the parking lot because, her babies came really fast and if she waited to leave at 5 mins apart, making it to the hospital may not have been an option. well we didn't not have wait long because by 8:15pm they were 7 mins apart and so intense i was shaking and almost in tears. we got in the car and oooopps the trash....yes, ryan still needed to wheel the trash out to the curb! i know, can you believe it?!! i knew that was going to happen and that's why i mentioned taking it out earlier, oh well.

off to the hopsital we went. the hospital was 18 miles from our house and it was night so there was no traffic until we hit the summerlin parkway, and suddenly traffic was stopped....we about died! up until this point i was pretty good about being calm, but when i saw the traffic, i burst into tears. i just wanted to get there and get something for the pain. luckly it was a small accident only about 400 yards up the road and we didn't have to wait long. we got to the hospital at 8:45pm, and parked in the emergnecy parking because walking to the hopsital would have taken forever if stopping for every contraction.

as soon as we made it to the labor and delivery desk i started another contraction. they knew it was very aparent that i was in full labor and monitoring would have been pointless. they took me straight to my room (which was ready for me because i was actually set to be induced that same night at 10pm) they hooked me up, contractions were 4 mins apart and i was 5 cm dialated (glad i didn't wait to leave until they were 5 mins apart, i would have died). they wasted no time and i had all IV's, and the epidural in place by 9:30pm. the epidual slowed things down a little bit but things still progressed pretty rapidly. at 10:30pm i was dilated 7 to 8 cm. they broke my water at 10:40pm and only 5 minutes later by 10:45pm i was dialated to 9.5 cm! at 12:15am the pressure during every contraction was so unreal it was impossible not to push. at 12:30am we started the practice pushing to get the baby down and was ready to be delivered by 1:30am. sometime before that they called dr. swainston. nurse emma said i needed to stop pushing and wait for the dr. i thought there was no way i was going to be able to do that! the epidural was hardly working and i wanted the baby out, it seemed hopeless. just then dr. swaiston walked in and i could not have been more happy!!!! after only 3 pushes connor was here at 1:44am!! He weighed 6.65 pounds and was 19 and 1/2 inches long.

up until i went into labor i was so nervous and i wondered if i could really do it. but then a great calm came over me and all the nerves were gone...maybe everything went so fast there was no time to be scared. 6 hours and 44 mins from the 1st contraction to delivery is a very fast labor time (especially for a 1st baby), and they say each additional baby comes a little quicker. that is a little scary. so maybe when i get pregnant with my last baby i should just hang out at the hospital.









____________________________________________________________________

Growing...

I never had much luck in the growing department, i don't know why (i was always so concerned about it, i even built a big complex about it, and stressed out when people told me i was so little). for some reason i never measured larger than 30-31 weeks and at 40 weeks i was measuring only 29-30 weeks. i know, really weird, but a 6 pound baby fit in there, and you could see every movement he made!!!



19 Weeks


23 Weeks



29 Weeks



33 weeks



36 weeks
I had the funniest shaped tummy. connor spent a lot of time bum out, and very, very low. in fact, he only kicked my ribs 2 or 3 times.


40 weeks:
this picture was taken as we were walking out the door to go to the hospital!

7 comments:

AP said...

Wow...What a HOT Mamma!! You looked fanastic pregnant! Kaylee was looking at the pictures of you prego, and asked what you are doing. I told her Connor was in your tummy. She looked and said "he came out and turned into a baby?! I don't know about that mommy!" Out of the mouth of kids!!! I can't beleive how quickly Connor has grown up, it seems like yesterday when you were home with him at Christmas.

Justin and Stacey said...

That is such a good idea! I need to document it because like you said, it's amazing how fast you can forget all the details. That is too funny about Ryan taking the garbage out. I think you made such a cute pregnant girl! This was a great post!

Jeri Call said...

Oh you came home already? Sorry I missed you! I can't believe how cute you are prego! I am so excited to be pregnant again but I am not that cute. I am only 9 weeks today and I think I look bigger then you at 19 weeks. You pop out faster with each one. I can't believe Conner is already 6 months. I love that age, they are so happy to able to sit on their own and start to move around.

Ash & Tim said...

I debated if I really wanted to read your story when it said Labor Story...then I decided that at some point I am eventually going to have to hear all of these stories and can not longer tune people out as they proceed to tell me the stories that I do not want to hear. I have no thoughts about it at this time more like "oh somebody just knock me out when it all starts to happen" Love all the pictures you look great!

Neal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

here we go again. It says my commemts were removed. It wasn't bad or no bad lanquage....whatever!!! I really enjoyed your recount of the event of gettiing Connor here. We sure love that little guy. Bob says that you really did look cute pregnant and thinks you will look just as cute the next 6 times!!! Sounds like a guy, huh? Cute photos of your weekend and sounds like you had a great time. Kaylee was so funny in the video, I can't believe you were able to keep from laughing out loud. It was darling. Talk to you later and love you guys...Mom H. P.S. I think you looked so cute pregnant.

Denisse said...

Stephanie, I think you look sooo cute pregnant! Aren't we blessed to have gone through the pregnancy process? it is one of the most amazing experiences! And then giving birth to me is truly a miracle!!! And then to watch your little one grow and develop is one of the greatest blessings we can have...it makes all the messes and all the tantrums, etc, etc, soooo worth going through!!!!:)