Tuesday, July 29, 2008

RUNNING ON EMPTY - Stupid 20/20

Our Saturday nights are pretty low key consisting of putting Connor to bed and watching 20/20. Several weeks ago we watched a segment call "Running on Empty". Basically the segment said that American cars have a buffer from when the gas gauge comes on until the tank is empty. John Stossel got in his stupid little mini van and drove until he ran out of gas. His gas gauge lit up and his digital read out said 25 miles to empty and he continued driving until the gas was gone. It ended up being a total of 65 miles from when the light turned on until he ran out of gas.

Anyway, this afternoon Ry, me, and baby Connor were heading out to run some errands. Ryan mentions first that we need to get gas, the light was on and it had been 22 miles already. Then we start commenting about the 20/20 segment and we thought we were fine and had atleast 35+ miles until needing to fill up :). Not more than 2 1/2 miles down the road:

Ryan: "Uh, did you feel that?"

me : "No, what?"

Ryan: "Umm....I think we're running out of gas."

me: "What, are you kidding me........stupid 20/20."

(at this point we are on the last fumes heading up a hill)

Ryan: " What should we do?"

me: "Flip around, flip around, head down the hill, there is a station a few miles back!"

So we coasted down the hill as far as we could in the large bike lane until we went ka-poot! Ryan got out and started walking, heading to a gas station. But has anyone forgotten where we live? Yes, the DESERT, and it's July:

The car temperature said 113 degrees, I thought me and Connor were going to die! (the temperature actually showed 115 degrees before we took the picture!)

Anyway, Ryan decided to call his friend Neal instead of leaving us alone for too long in the car (I think he was just hot and tired). Neal came to our rescue within 10 minutes.....gas can in hand! Thanks a bunch Neal!




I really found the whole situation quite comical.. We will not support 20/20 anymore, and are going to start watching CBS or ABC!!!

sidenote: We didn't even go straight to the gas station after we got rescued because we needed to finish our errands before Enrichment! :)

9 comments:

Neal said...

Oh man...look at me! I think I need a shave:) I agree with you with the news. I don't listen to half the stuff they say anymore. Anyways...just call me your trusty AAA man:)

Jeri Call said...

Too funny, I always get gas as soon as my gas light comes one because I fear running out of gas and it cost less to fill up. Aaron on the other hand drives to work and back for a week with his light on. ( he only works 7 minutes from home) But still!

When is Ashley getting married? I thought I heard August ( that is a great month to get married, hehe) When are you coming into town. If you aren't to busy with wedding stuff we need to hang out.

Katy said...

Funny! You guys made a memory! Glad you didn't have to sit there too long in the heat!

Anonymous said...

Before I even got to the end of your post...I knew what was going to be happening. Believe me I have done that a few times :) and it is pretty embarassing especially when you are on a busy street and everyone knows your car!!! Sure glad Neal was around (way to go Neal!!!). I am sorry, but Dad and I were laughing really hard the whole time I was reading the post. I guess it really isn't that funny until later and you are safe at home(with a tank full of gas) and cooled off. I can't believe the temperature too. How did Connor do in the hot car? Talk to you soon and keep that car at least 50% full at all times!!! Love MOM H.

Ash & Tim said...

That was a great story we laughed the whole time we were reading it. Although it has happened to Tim and I once before luckily it was not the warm. Sounds like it was quite the adventure -Ryan got your call sorry Ian was crying so I could hear nothing at the time but I will try giving you a call later on this week. Great story!

Courtney said...

Steph, Steph, Steph... you are too funny! Great story and I will definitely remember it when my gas light comes on!

britt said...

ahhhhhh! not fun in 113. I'm here in Utah for a bit to avoid that exact thing! I'm glad you got rescued!

Justin and Stacey said...

115!!! That is craziness! I am glad you guys didn't roast to death! I have never run out of gas before but I always imagine if I did I would be the lucky one to be in 115 degrees or -10 and it dumping down snow.

Steph said...

Crazy stuff. Glad to see you're dedicated to getting to enrichment. Good reminder to keep my tank closer to the top.